Throat pain is the primary symptom of a sore throat. It may get worse when you try to swallow, and you may have difficulty swallowing food and liquids. A sore throat is painful and may prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep. But there are home remedies you can use to soothe the pain and irritation.
- Honey – Honey mixed in tea or taken on its own is a common household remedy for a sore throat. Honey is an effective wound healer, which means it may help speed healing for sore throats.
- Saltwater – Gargling with warm salt water can help soothe a sore throat and break down secretions. Make a saltwater solution with a half-teaspoon of salt in a full glass of warm water. Gargle it to help reduce swelling and keep the throat clean.
- Marshmallow root – Marshmallow root contains a mucus-like substance that coats and soothes a sore throat. Simply add some of the dried roots to a cup of boiling water to make tea. Sipping the tea two to three times a day may help ease throat pain.
- Garlic – Garlic also has natural antibacterial properties. It contains allicin, an organosulfur compound known for its ability to fight off infections.
- Peppermint – Peppermint is known for its ability to freshen breath. Diluted peppermint oil sprays may also relieve sore throats. Peppermint contains menthol, which helps thin mucus and calm sore throats and coughs.